MBBS (Singapore), FRCS (Surgical Neurology UK), FAMS
Special interest in treating Back Pain, Neck Pain, Nerve Disorder, Headache, Brain, Tumour, Osteoporosis, Stroke
Dr Mathew Tung Yu Yee trained as a neurosurgeon in Singapore and England. During his training he worked in Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Queen’s Medical Centre Nottingham, National Hospitals for Neurology and Neurosurgery, London and Singapore General Hospital (SGH).
He completed his training in 1996. He returned to Penang and was consultant neurosurgeon in Lam Wah Ee and Gleneagles hospitals between the years 2000 and 2012. He returned to Singapore in 2012 when he was appointed consultant neurosurgeon to the Pacific Healthcare Group. He is married with two children.
He specialises in the treatment of disorders of the brain and spine and believes that neurosurgery should be safer by always considering the non-invasive options before open surgery. The aim is to achieve minimum morbidity and a quick return to optimum function.
In spinal disorders, he aims for motion preservation, reversible treatments that can be repeated in preference to fusion. In the last 15 years he has performed the following operations regularly:
- Non-invasive techniques like stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS), stereotactic radiotherapy (SRT) for brain tumours
- Minimally invasive techniques using modern endoscope-assisted techniques to access the pituitary adenoma, treat hydrocephalus and ventricular tumours.
- Latest computer aided image guidance systems to navigate the delicate structures of the brain to safely perform microscopic brain tumour surgery
- Spinal laminectomy for spinal tumours
- Facet joint injections, cervical and lumbar disc replacements
- Spinal decompression and fusion for highly selected cases
- Endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy for sweaty palms
Dr Tung pursues continued medical education enthusiastically and has kept abreast of latest techniques by attending courses and attachments in Europe (SRS, SRT, spinal surgery and disc replacement), America(skull base approaches to acoustic neuroma) and more recently in China (endovascular techniques for vascular disorders). He will listen to you and answer all your questions clearly.
In addition to his current clinical practice, Dr Tung has also lectured and presented at several institutions in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and China on his specialty area of interest.
To schedule for an appointment, please call us at (65) 64712744 / SMS to (65) 92357641 / Email: email@example.com