Singapore Hand and Wrist Specialist Centre
Are you experiencing hand/wrist pain that is not getting better? You are at the right place. Get professional diagnosis and treatment on your hand/wrist pain today. Effective treatment, Non Surgery. Call/SMS us at (65) 66532625 or Email to: email@example.com to schedule for an appointment today.
Hand and Wrist pain can be caused by one or more of a number of different disorders. Lifestyle diseases will become more common as we live longer and lead more active lives. Hand and wrist pain are among these lifestyle diseases. They are usually amenable to simple treatment strategies, provided they are diagnosed early.
– Hand pain
A common cause of hand pain that many feel at the base of their fingers, in the palm of the hand, is trigger finger. Trigger finger is a condition where a patient feels pain or discomfort when trying to straighten or bend their finger/thumb. Sometimes the finger may become ‘locked’ or ‘stuck’ when swelling of the tendon sheath occurs. This swelling can be associated with diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, or even golf.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can also cause hand pain. There is a tunnel in the wrist called the carpal tunnel. Nine tendons and the median nerve pass through it. When pressure builds up in the tunnel, the nerve gets compressed and is unable to function properly. This may result in numbness, discomfort and pain in the fingers. This condition usually associated with a tingling sensation over the thumb, index and middle fingers, especially at night. Risk factors for carpal tunnel syndrome include age, diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis.
Another common cause of finger pain is trauma. In this instance, the injured tissue could be the tendon, ligament, bone, or even a combination. It is thus imperative that all injured tissues are adequately addressed and optimally treated.
Hand numbness is usually caused by damage, irritation or compression of one of the nerves or a branch of one of the nerves in your arm and wrist. Numbness of the fingers and hands typically is a result of conditions that affect the nerves and/or blood vessels that supply the hand. Numbness of the fingers or hands is often associated with tingling.
Wrist pain is often caused by sprains or fractures from sudden injuries. But wrist pain can also result from long-term problems, such as repetitive stress, arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome.
Because so many factors can lead to wrist pain, diagnosing the exact cause can be difficult, but an accurate diagnosis is essential for proper treatment and healing.
Most common causes of Hand and Wrist problems includes:
- CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME – Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs when the median nerve which runs from the forearm into the hand becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist.
- DE QUERVAIN’S STENOSING TENOSYNOVITIS – is a condition brought by irritation or inflammation of the wrist tendons at the base of the thumb.
- MALLET FINGER – Mallet finger occurs when the outermost joint of the finger is injured. With mallet finger, the tendon on the back of the finger is separated from the muscles it connects.
- TRIGGER FINGER – Trigger finger is a common disorder of the hand which causes painful snapping or locking of the fingers or thumb.
- ARTHRITIS – Osteoarthritis of the fingers and thumb is characterized as chronic and often disabling pain and stiffness of one or more joints
- HEBERDEN’S NODES – are hard or bony swellings that can develop in the distal interphalangeal joints (DIP) (the joints closest to the end of the fingers and toes).
- WRIST GANGLION CYST – is a swelling that usually occurs over the back of the hand or wrist. These are benign, fluid-filled capsules.
Hand pain can be caused by a sudden injury, an overuse injury, or by an underlying condition, such as arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome or trigger finger. Treatment will vary depending on the cause. Symptoms of hand injury can include pain, swelling, and stiffness. Consult our hand specialist today.
Make Appointment or Enquiry: